Back to your local site:
 



Related sites

MontereyHerald.com:
The online publication of our employer — the Monterey County Herald newspaper in Monterey, California.





Off Key


Saturday, June 25, 2005

Friday Night People Watching Awards 

Forget a platinum chain, the coolest thing I will ever sport around my neck is an all access press pass. No iced out medallion is going get me backstage at the 70s Soul Jam." That's what's up.

Now, for me, Friday night's soul concert wasn't so much about seeing the show as it was about being the show. Folks came out in an array of fine-tailored suits and gowns, looking cleaner than a deacon on Sunday morning. The people watching alone was just as good as the show.

So, in honor of the people in attendance on Friday night (the show within the show), I'm handing out the following awards in recognition of the folks who couldn't keep my eyes off of:

Coolest looking person of the night:
Now, this was a tough one. Several people were vying for the title throughout the evening, including: the fly lady in the camoflauge outfit with matching cowboy hat, covering a mop of curls (my co-workers and I couldn't get enough of her ability to coordinate); the Chi-Lites, replete
in bright red zoot suits with matching fedoras; and the sister in the cheetah print faux mink with
matching cowboy hat (the key word of the evening, co-orr-dinn-atte).

But the prize went to the cool breeze dressed in a black silk suit, covered with a full-length black mink coat, silver dress socks, and white on black wingtips. He sported thick Gucci shades at dusk, and topped it off with a black felt hat that commanded respect. I hope one day I can look that cool (but I doubt it)

Missed Opportunity of the night:
Jimmy "JJ" Walker, 70s icon and star of the endearing television show 'Good Times' (hangin' in a chow line!) was walking around the grounds between acts, apparently to get some air. Seeing that as my cue to approach with the whole "Reporter on the scene" schtick, I strutted in his direction and was just about to hand over my player card, when the somewhat frustrated comedian barked half-jokingly "Man, y'all think I got time for this kind of stuff. I ain't got no time."
I played it off and continued walking, putting my business card back into my jacket pocket. I thought Rerun was a lot funnier on the show anyways.

Strangest sight of the night: The old woman in a white coat with an American flag bow tacked onto her back, complimented by a pair of joke sun glasses and a worn fishermans hat. She floated around the grounds carrying a pair of oversized fly swatters, for no apparent reason. A close inspection of her hat revealed a rather quirky button: "I'm an alcoholic. In case of emergency, pick me up off the floor and buy me a martini."

Subversive hip-hop moment of the night:
Well, it wasn't that subversive, but when the lead singer of the Delfonics started scatting "Hot boys in the House," during their rendition of "La La means I Love You," well, I was a little dumb founded. Later on, said "that was for all the young folks out there."
During their rendition of "Have You Seen Here," the lead singer implored the crowd to throw their hands in the air, requesting that everyone who was down with the 'Fonics say "Oh Yeah!" I did as I was told (gotta respect your elders).

Warm and Fuzzy moment of the night:
Again during their performance of "La La..." I took a moment to call my girl and let her hear the song. As the crowd sang along, I raised the phone up near a speaker. She loved it. I loved it. The crowd loved it. But you know what I really love? That's right, all-access baby!

posted by Marc Cabrera at 6/25/2005 11:59:00 AM
Comments: Post a Comment
(0) comments




Jonathan Segal
Jonathan Segal is a staff writer for The Monterey County Herald. He can be reached at jsegal@montereyherald.com

Marc Cabrerar
Marc Cabrera is a staff writer for The Monterey County Herald. He can be reached at mcabrera@montereyherald.com

 Latest posts
   •  Six Degrees of blues and hip-hop



 Archives
   •  June 2005
   •  January 2011

XML-RSS feed












About Realcities Network | About Knight Ridder | Terms of Use & Privacy Statement

Copyright 2004 Knight Ridder. All rights reserved. Any copying, redistribution or retransmission of any
of the contents of this service without the express written consent of Knight Ridder is expressly prohibited.